All You Need to Know
About the 2018 Sun Met
The much-anticipated Sun Met celebrated with G.H. Mumm is back and ready to return to Kenilworth Racecourse on Saturday, 27 January 2018.
Building on the success of the 2017 event, the sponsors and organisers are ready to take the Sun Met event to an all-time high, providing world class entertainment and premium hospitality to those attending. Title Sponsors, Sun International and presenting sponsors G.H. Mumm are thrilled to be staging the event for a second year running.
Following their stellar debut as the headline sponsor for this prestigious social event, Rob Collins, Group Strategy and Operations Officer at Sun International commented: "We're looking forward to taking the reins on this prestigious event once again as we, together with our partners, plan to deliver another remarkable day out for all our attendees that will top our 2017 success.
Once again, the event guarantees the finest in Africa's rich horse-racing heritage, style, fashion, and entertainment at the height of the Mother City's summer season.
The Sun Met celebrated with G.H. Mumm will once again draw the country's most high-profile personalities to Kenilworth race course to experience the thrill and splendour of Africa's richest race day.
Tickets and Hospitality Packages
Racegoers can purchase General Access tickets for R200. This includes access to all public areas including the grand stand with public bars and catering facilities, as well as access to the official after-party. Tickets can be purchased through TicketPro and designated tote offices around Cape Town.
For those wanting something a bit more exclusive there are many packages on offer, ranging from the picnic site to VIP packages starting from R2 350. The VIP packages include a shaded area, food and drink offerings, access to the official after-party and much more.
Secure your spot and witness the fine specimens on the track gallop to the finishing line over 13 world-class horseraces.
The sponsors and organisers of the 2017 Sansui Summer Cup and 2018 The Sun Met celebrated with G.H. Mumm have announced a R1-million bonus prize to the horse who wins both races. The Sansui Summer Cup and The Sun Met are the biggest races in Johannesburg and Cape Town respectively and no horse has succeeded in winning the two races since 1999.
The final field will be announced on 17 January 2018 at the V&A Waterfront Centre Court.
Kenilworth Racecourse will be turned into Cape Town's very own catwalk when 'Style ahead of the Field' encourages all race goers to come dressed 'Afro-Chic' in vibrant colours and prints, as well as beautiful, intricate fabric designs that immediately evoke 'Africa'.
This intriguing theme will be achieved by the mixing of genres, where trendy modern attire is infused with the inspiration of Africa.
- The Sun Met is set to deliver another dazzling event with a stellar line up of A-List entertainment featuring some of South Africa's finest radio and club DJ's as well as the award-winning band, Mi Casa.
- The official after-party will bring race day goers live performances by DJ Kent, DJ Zinhle, Euphonik and Mi Casa in the official Sun Met celebrated with G.H.Mumm after-party marquee.
- During the day, The Sun Met also offers other entertainment in the after-party marquee, which includes DJs and a fashion show showcasing local fashion.
- All ticket holders will be able to join the official after-party as general access tickets automatically grant access into the after-party marquee.
Food and drink
The public arena will host a variety of premium culinary experiences, bar facilities, and entertainment throughout the day.
Parking and road closures
Racegoers can make use of the Chukker Road parking facility at R100 per car with a free shuttle service to the Kenilworth Racecourse entrance. Tickets for the parking can be bought ahead of Race Day at TicketPro.
Best Dressed Competition
Sun International together with G.H. Mumm will be running a Best-Dressed competition which will take place at the Entertainment marquee where one lucky lady and gent stand a chance of winning a phenomenal prize package valued at R50 000 which includes:
- Resort Experience sponsored by Sun International (exclusive of travel)
- TUMI Knox backpack and a Voyageur Halle backpack
- R25 000 voucher from the V&A Waterfront
- A bespoke custom-made designer garment from Imprint ZA or Khosi Nkosi
- VIP Access to the official Sun Met 2018 After-party at the Grand Beach Café on 28 January 2018
Actor and presenter Zweli Dube along with Miss South Africa 2017, Ade Van Heerden will host the competition from 15h40 to 16h00.
Various Fashion Designers will showcase show stopper pieces in-between the races from 1pm – 3pm at the Entertainment Marquee leading up to the Best Dressed Competition where a host of South African talent will showcase their best designs and creations. The Sun Met 2018 Fashion Show Designers include Khosi Nkosi, Imprint ZA, Ri.Ch Factory and House of Ole.
What to bring
Everything you need will be available at the venue, however ticket holders may want to bring a few of these important items:
- Identification: especially for those wanting to bet on the day
- Bank cards: ATMs will be available around the venue
- Sunscreen or Hat
- Something warm to wear for those who plan to stay for the Sun Met after-party
- No alcohol may be brought into the venue
- No firearms, weapons, fireworks or explosives are permitted at Kenilworth
Date: Saturday 27 January 2018
Venue: Kenilworth Racecourse, Cape Town
Time: 10:00 - 23:00